Life 2.0

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Is Google winning the wep-app war already?

They started off well, with Gmail probably setting the trend for lightning fast, responsive (more like responsive-enough-to-put-desktop-apps-to-sham) applications on the web. Somewhere down the line though, it seemed to me like they had given up the fight.

Their personalized desktop was - and remains - a joke when compared to it's competition. The RSS reader was an absolute disaster to start with (I'd never ever dumped a web app so quickly!). And for long it was not clear what they were going to do with the Writely acquisition.

They've come back with a bang though. Google Calendar made me dump Kiko as my favorite online calendar, the new version of the reader meant NewsHutch had to be rested from my browser and Google Docs has replaced the Zoho apps for now - for reasons unknown though, since I still believe Zoho has a better feature set than Docs. I'm still waiting for them to do something with Jotspot before I can give it a serious thought as my wiki of choice.

If there's something Google hasn't captured yet, it's the personalized homepage and bookmarking segments. Netvibes still rules the roost and nothing has been able to separate me from good old del.icio.us yet. Picasa albums is also nowhere close to the Flickrs of the world yet, but I'll let that pass since I don't use them much. I've also stuck with Remember the milk as my task manager, a space where google doesn't offer anything as yet.

In summary then, Google seems to be absolutely on the right track to capture major market share in the insanely crowded web app market. What's coming next then, Google?

3 Comments:

At 9:43 PM , Blogger Arvind said...

Nice post, Ashish. We are continuously introducing new features and improving our performance. Do keep track of all latest Zoho happenings at http://blogs.zoho.com.

Hope you will switch sides again soon :-)

Arvind
Zoho

 
At 5:34 AM , Blogger Ashish said...

It's very much on my Google Reader list, the Zoho blog, Arvind. Love your product offerings.

I just seem to have more use for some of Google's web apps (especially Calendar & Reader) and therefore the bias towards the rest of their stuff. As I mentioned, I believe the Zoho Writer and Sheets combo is a notch better than Google docs.

 
At 4:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ashish!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home